2nd Quarter South End Verses Collaboration
Congratulations to Alejandro Ledzema (artist) & Lisa Zerkle (writer) on the latest collaboration of the South End Verses Art Placemaking Project.
The public artwork displays a shared vision of what all parents want for their children. To know they’re okay, that they’re basic needs are met, that they’re safe and free. That is where the poem “Mother of Exiles” begins. The title is a nod to the Statue of Liberty and the welcome she promises. Printing the poem in both English and Spanish is way of extending her voice to the community.
The concept of the artwork focuses on a parental figure surrounded by children displaying various emotional states. Are they protected? Are they happy? Sad? There’s a wall, a snippet of an American flag, a black figure in a hoodie, the word “family,” a cross. And there’s that parental figure dominating the scene, one eye goggled by the American flag. What kind of parent is it? How will it receive the children of the world?
Read more about the project, the collaborators and their journey as strangers paired together to create a meaningful visual voice for Charlotte in this CharlotteFive article.
Next Call for 3rd Quarter Artist & Wordsmith Collaboration
South End Verses at C3Lab invites all artists, designers, photographers, writers, social entrepreneurs, and community activists to submit up to 3 SAMPLES of their work and/or writing for the upcoming art collaboration for the South End Verses Community Art Placemaking Project. This collaborative art project highlights creative works and words from people in the Charlotte community.
From fine and graphic artists to all classifications of writers, one visual artist and one wordsmith will be chosen then paired together to collaborate and create a NEW outdoor public artwork piece that will visually communicate and reflect their shared vision of the state of Charlotte and the community today.
The South End Verses Committee will select two collaborators from the sample submissions who will have a month and a half to work together to create and produce the NEW public art piece. Collaborators should be available to meet about the project and the shared workspace is always available as a common meeting ground. C3 will provide the main display board as well as some funding for materials.
The next artwork collaboration will be featured throughout the 3rd quarter of 2017 on the visual billboard located on the Remount Road side of C3Lab. All artwork selected throughout the lifetime of the project will culminate in a final art exhibit in Gallery C3 in South End.
• Must be over 18 years of age
• Must reside (for a least one year) within Mecklenburg or the surrounding counties
• Call is for artists working in the visual arts (including painting, printmaking, illustration, assemblage, collage, fiber, photography, drawing, sculpture, installation), graphic designers, writers, poets, journalists, community activists and any actively engaged wordsmiths in the community
Deadline to submit art or literary sample work is Sunday, April 30th, 2017. Please submit your name, email, phone, a short bio about you & your work to firstname.lastname@example.org. Chosen collaborators will be announced and contacted by May 10th.
Many Thanks to the South End Verses Committee:
- Meredith Dallas - Meredith Dallas is an emerging sculptor and printmaker from Rock Hill, SC. She received her B.F.A. in sculpture and printmaking from Winthrop University. Meredith’s work has been featured in multiple shows, including the 27th Annual Undergraduate Juried Exhibition, where her piece, Facture, was awarded the Dalton Second Place award; the 25th Annual Undergraduate Juried Exhibition; Zenith: the 2015 Winthrop Department of Fine Art Senior Exhibition; and three Winthrop sculpture shows. Working in the realm of public art, her piece Microthreads went on display in downtown Rock Hill. She also completed three sculptural bike racks for Family Trust Credit Union’s new headquarters in downtown Rock Hill.
- Sharon Dowell - Sharon is a painter and public artist whose numerous works can be found in several private collections as well as public art installations throughout Charlotte and other cities in NC. She has had several solo shows throughout the country and been part of selected exhibitions including the upcoming Architectonic Exhibit at Gallery C3 in April 2017. Sharon is currently the Gallery Coordinator & Adjunct Professor at UNC Charlotte.
- Megan Liddle-Gude - Megan is not only a community connector, but the Executive Director for Historic South End. She has experience in facilitation and community engagement, coalition building and urban planning. Prior to joining Center City Partners in 2012, she was an associate with the Institute for Environmental Negotiation in Virginia. As a facilitator, she worked with community groups to build consensus around challenging issues, including local food systems, community health, racial equity, economic revitalization and Chesapeake Bay watershed management.
- Kia O Moore - Kia is a native Charlottean with a love for all things creative, cultural and communications. You can always find her with a communications gadget in hand, a Hip Hop song on her mind and a new idea to share. Her personal motto “Think Big. Think Differently. Live in an Alpha State of Mind.” Moore is the Founder and Executive Director of the social business music venture Hip Hop Orchestrated. She is also the Creative Director of the mentoring non-profit Hip Hop University.
- Katie Toussaint - Katie is writer and editor for Charlotte Five, a digital affiliate of the Charlotte Observer that is geared toward the young professional demographic and produces a daily newsletter and five hyper-local articles. She is a Charlotte native with a love for writing, editing, yoga, coffee and wine.
- Rick Thurmond - Rick, former sportswriter and longtime journalist, has worked for Charlotte Magazine for 21 years, the last four as publisher. He recently joined Charlotte City Partners as the new Senior Vice President of Community and Business Development. His new role includes community-building and economic development work, leading public advocacy, launching special projects and supporting business recruitment efforts for Charlotte.
- David Walters - David Walters is a British architect who has four decades of experience as an architect, urban designer and community planner. As former director of the Master of Urban Design Program at UNC Charlotte College of Arts + Architecture, he has won state and national awards for urban design master plans, form-based codes and community planning projects based in Carolina communities.
Artist Studios at C3Lab
Being a creative hub in South End, C3Lab supports the efforts of artists at all stages of their careers by offering affordable artist space. To sustain the local arts community, C3 provides common spaces where artists can meet, socialize and collaborate, learn together and have creative dialogue about art being created, exhibit their current works and/or WIP and thrive in their artistic practice. C3 hosts an art exhibit each year featuring all the artists in Gallery C3.
Artists at C3Lab
Gallery C3 is an alternative art space that hosts exhibits featuring local, regional, national and international artists. From emerging to established artists, Gallery C3 supports traditional, contemporary, and hybrid art forms that integrate social, interdisciplinary, experimental, imaginative and innovative collaborations that are intended to stimulate, boldly shape and connect through an intimate exchange to the artistic community.
THE DAM SHOW
dance / art / music
Join C3Lab for TWO nights of DANCE, ART, & MUSIC! Baran Dance’s Spring show features choreography by Audrey Baran, Kate Micham, Megan Payne, and Mackenzie Smith, plus work by some amazing visual artists. Musical guests include Bless These Sounds Under the City, Elonzo Wesley, Nicholas Holman, and Sinners & Saints, and proceeds will benefit the Open Door Dance Foundation!
Performances are Saturday, May 20th at 8pm and Sunday, May 21st at 6pm. For more information, go to THE DAM SHOW.
Visual artists featured in show are: Sharon Dowell, Angela Clousher, Michele Hoffman, Jessica, Prescott, Freddie Rivera, Kathie Roig, Karla Sosa, Robin Stallings, Karen Trigg,